I suggest you ...

SFTP: proper ssh server authentication

Implement proper authentication of the remote ssh server, to protect from rogue services and MitM.
Consists of the following:

- Prompt the user for confirmation when connecting to an unknow server by presenting the server's public key's fingerpring and asking if it's correct.
- Store servers' public keys to avoid prompting the user on subsequent connections and for detecting unexpected public key changes.
- Provide capability to edit the known hosts store, à la known_hosts file.

To improve system security, avoid storing any information related to SFTP on user storage locations. Store everything in private app data. Limit sdcard usage to import/export functionality, which should also be avoided due to universal read access from all apps.

47 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
João Matos shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Wokkocher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

public key fingerprint verification is the one security thing ssh needs or you can just use normal FTP

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a *must*. The security of the SFTP connection is simply pointless if host public key fingerprints cannot be inspected and verified.

• João Matos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have no experience in Android development and my familiarity with the platform is as a power user. If any of what I said doesn't make sense, I would appreciate it if someone could correct me.

Feedback and Knowledge Base